South Carolina Salvage Title

In the state of South Carolina, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in South Carolina. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a SC Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

South Carolina Salvage Titles

In the state of South Carolina, a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing the vehicle or rebuilding the vehicle is 75 percent or more of the market value as determined by your insurance company. Once claimed as a total loss, your salvaged vehicle will be assigned a SC Salvaged Title. Your salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

South Carolina Salvage Certificate of Title

Once your insurance company deems your vehicle a total loss, they will submit all the proper documentation to the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. Once the DMV processes the information, if you were indicated as the owner of the salvaged vehicle by your insurance agency, you will be sent a SC Salvage Vehicle Title in the mail.

South Carolina Salvage Inspection

In the state of South Carolina, once you have repaired or restored your salvage vehicle to operable condition for the highway, the vehicle will have to pass a salvage inspection before you apply for a Salvage Rebuilt Title. At the inspection, you'll need to bring with you a completed Salvage Vehicle Inspection Report, your title, bill of sale, and all major parts receipts. Once your vehicle passes, you can then head to your local SC DMV office to file for a Rebuilt Salvage Title.

South Carolina Rebuilt Salvage Certificate

Once you have repaired or restored your salvage vehicle to roadworthy condition, and it has passed salvage inspection, you are ready to apply for a South Carolina Rebuilt Vehicle Title. You'll need to go to your local South Carolina DMV branch and bring or complete the following; Form S-2 (certifying that the vehicle was rebuilt), your title, an Application for Title and Registration, your Salvage Vehicle Inspection Report. Once the paperwork is completed, you'll pay the applicable titling fees.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in South Carolina

An abandoned vehicle title in South Carolina can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle, and title it in South Carolina you'll have to first report the abandoned vehicle to your local South Carolina law enforcement agency, and fill out an Abandoned Vehicle Form. Authorities will investigate, and try to contact the owner themselves. If the owner is not located, authorities will inform you. You can then apply for a new vehicle title through your local DMV branch. To find an office near you, please visit