Name Change On An South Carolina Drivers License

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The state DMV recommends that you change the name on your South Carolina drivers license as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Before you change your name on your South Carolina drivers license you will need to change it at the Social Security office. 

Make sure to download a complete checklist of requirements and forms to change your name on your South Carolina drivers license.

Social Security Administration

Visit the SSA website to request your name change form.

You may need:

  • Marriage document
  • Divorce decree
  • Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name or Court-ordered name change
  • U.S. citizenship (if you have not established your citizenship with US) or immigration status (including Department of Homeland Security permission to work in the United States)

Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office. All documents must be original.

For More Information:

Social Security Administration
Office of Public Inquiries
Windsor Park Building
6401 Security Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21235

DMV Process

Once you've changed your name with the SSA, go to your local DMV office. Click here for a list of required documents.

You May Need

  • Court order
  • Marriage decree
  • Marriage certificate

For more information:

DMV Alternative Media Office
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0035

How to: